Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante


Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow

Dior spring 2009 makeup collection is one of my favorites for this season. The collection offers a range of nude and earthy shades from eyes, lips to nails. What makes it so attractive to me is that the nude and earthy shades in this collection feature a creamy and milky tone, which make the colors look softer and more sophisticated.

For spring, Dior comes up with two limited-edition eyeshadow palettes; 5 Colour Iridescent Eyeshadow in 559 Parisian Lights and 5 Colour Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante. I am sharing my thoughts on 553 Elégante today.


Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante

Packaging
I love the sleek and elegant compact. The deep blue translucent lid is embossed with silver "Dior" letters, and is also embedded with the two letter, "CD", in bold under the Dior letters.

The eyeshadow palette features 5 eyeshadows, a mirror and two dual-ended sponge applicators. The applicators have a good ability to pick up colors.

Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante

Color

  • (top left) bronze with gold iridescent shimmer
  • (top right) pale ivory with peachy pearl sheen/iridescent shimmer
  • (center) pale nude beige with gold pearl sheen/iridescent shimmer
  • (bottom left) deep brown with muted gold shimmer
  • (bottom right) peachy taupe beige with silver pearl sheen
These shades feature a creamy and milky tone, which makes the colors look softer on the skin. The colors are warm except the peachy taupe beige imparts a subtle silver sheen.

All the shades contain shimmer. The shimmer bits are more of iridescence or pearl sheen shimmer, very subtle and elegant.

Texture
The eyeshadow powder is so finely-milled. They are silky smooth to the touch, and are easy to apply.

Pigment
The pale ivory and pale nude beige shades are light. The bronze and peachy taupe beige colors are light-to-medium tones, while the deep brown shade is medium-to-high pigmented. The colors are very blendable and buildable.

Dior 5 Colour Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante

Finish
I have fairly light skin. Other than the deep brown shade, these eyeshadows are slightly lighter or darker than my skin tone.

The colors have a satiny finish. The shimmer is subtle, and imparts a beautiful pearl sheen or a hint of iridescent shimmer at different angles.


The deep brown shade is a great lining color for a casual look. It softly sculpts and defines my eyes without appearing overdone. On the other hand, it is just not intense enough for dramatic, smoky eyes.


Lasting Power
The staying power is decent. But I was surprised to find that my YSL Ombres 5 Lumières 5 Colour Harmony for Eyes in #05 Riviera and Coffret D'Or Trance Deep Eyes in #03 Khaki Green seem to have a better crease-resistant ability than this palette.

Summary
I am pleased with 553 Elégante. The milky-toned nude and earthy shades are elegantly beautiful and wearable in all seasons. The colors give a subtle fresh finish with soft definition on my eyes. For night occasions, I would use a high-pigmented lining shade or eyeliner to complement these shades for more drama.

I personally don't think 553 Elégante would show the colors well against darker skin because the The overall colors are light and medium tones. However, for people with lighter skin, they are great colors for a casual look or an office environment.

My Makeup Reviews and
Autumn Masquerade also feature detailed reviews on Dior 5 Colours Eyeshadow in 553 Elégante. Do check out their alternative thoughts on this palette.

Related posts:
Dior Spring 2009 Makeup Collection

Lady Dior Palette in 002 French Chic


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! ;)
Thank you for this review!

I had a look on this palette too, but I didn't chose this one.

It's a wonderful palette, but the browns are a bit too much on the reddish side, which don't flatter me.

I got the 009 Sky Glow instead. Now, I fancy with 609 Earth Reflection and 559 Pariisan Lights. ;)

Beauty Anonymous said...

Hello Jess,

You mentioned that the browns are a bit on the reddish side. Hmmm, the colors in the 553 Elégante palette look quite neutral on my eyes. Two of the colors from 553 Elégante (top right and bottom right) do have a peachy undertone. The one on the bottom right has a more peachy or a hint of pink undertone.

I saw the 009 Sky Glow on your blog. The colors look pretty! I look forward to reading your review on this eyeshadow palette. Do let me know what you think of 609 Earth Reflection and 559 Parisian Lights if you get to try them.

Cheers,

BA