Product Review: La Mer The Cleansing Foam


La Mer is nothing new to many of you. As one of the high end skin cares, La Mer's Crème de la Mer is legendary. In January 2008, La Mer released a new facial cleanser, The Cleansing Foam, with retail price of $65 (for 125mL). You probably wonder what makes this facial cleanser so special and pricey. Again, for $65, it is not exactly affordable to many people for a daily use of facial cleanser. I was given an opportunity to try this facial cleanser. After using it for about three weeks, I love the effect and experience in many ways.

La Mer The Cleansing Foam contains marine extracts, a combination of fine jade and white pearl powders, magnetized tourmaline, and Deconstructed Waters. Marine extracts have anti-irritation and calming properties. Sea algae fibers boost the foaming action to create a rich lather. The exclusive combination of fine jade and white pearl powders is rich in amino acids to gently polish the skin for a bright complexion.

La Mer's magnetized tourmaline and Deconstructed Waters can modify the property of water and improve cleansing performance. When water is divided into positively charged energy-carrying molecular clusters, it becomes compatible with impurities and makeup. Therefore, it can wash them away without irritating the skin. From the ingredient-and-formula perspective, it seems to make sense why it costs that much.

Please note that The Cleansing Foam is a foaming cleanser. Many foaming cleansers I've tried did a good job washing away dirt and debris. However, I found they tended to dry out my face afterward, especially on the cheeks. I usually use soap-free cream/gel-based cleanser because they provide more gentle effect than foaming cleansers for dry and sensitive skin type like mine. I am really surprised to find The Cleansing Foam is very gentle to work on my dry/sensitive skin, yet provides a deep cleanse.

The direction on the packaging suggests to apply a little amount over the damp face, and gently massage over face in small circle motions. Using just a little would go a long way. The foam has a silky texture. As soon as it is in contact with water, it starts to dissolve and the color turns from pearly green to white. It is very easy to lather up into foaming bubbles. The foam is so rich and gentle that leaves my face thoroughly cleansed, soft and clear without being dry, tight, or irritating. The only drawback is it is not smooth on touch after rinsing off the cleanser. But it is not a major problem for me.

After three weeks of use, I found the little black/white heads on my nose have decreased gradually. I guess the fine jade and white pearl powders work like micro-beads to
polish the skin and help clear the sebum-clogged pores. The Cleansing Foam has a light scent reminiscent of baby powders. It smells very refreshing and uplifting. I love the clean, crisp scent lingering on my face in a natural way. Overall, this cleansing foam is very likable. I can see myself using it everyday.

*This sample is provided by La Mer. However, this review is solely based on my personal opinions after using this product.*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was wondering how long this lasted for you. Is it worth it to spend all that money, and have it gone in a month?

Beauty Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thank you for stopping by! I am very sorry for my late reply!

I had the opportunity to test out La Mer The Cleansing Foam in January this year. I was given a full-sized sample to test out.

The full size is 4.2 OZ./125 ml for US$65. For a face cleanser, it is quite pricey.

After I ran out of Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel in late April, I started using La Mer The Cleansing Mer on a daily basis (twice a day).

To be precise, I have used this product for almost three months, including the sample testing time in January.I was actually surprised to find how long this product lasts. The bottle is still about 3/4 full.

I usually just apply a pea-size amount of the cleansing foam. A little of this cleanser goes a long way. It creates a gentle and rich lather that helps clean the face efficiently.

I hope this helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any further question about La Mer The Cleansing Foam. :)


Cheers,

BA

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was just wondering if this product is good for people who have oily skin. My skin easily breaks out and I have a hard time looking for the right product.

Thanks.

Beauty Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thank you for stopping by!

I do think it is a good facial cleanser for combination and normal-to-oily skin. Because it does a good job washing off oil(sebum) and dirt.

I came across other reviews mentioning it can be a little drying for dry skin. I have dry/sensitive skin. (It is on the dry side, but not extra dry or sensitive).I actually don't have the dry or tight feeling after cleansing.

In the summer time, the T zone on my face tends to be oily. (I personally don't have any breakout problems with this cleanser). From my experiences, La Mer The Cleansing Foam is a great cleanser for me in warm weather. I like the fact that it provides a rich and refined lather, and leaves my face throughly cleansed. My face is clear and feels clean after washing without the dry feeling.

It is deifnitely one of the good cleansers I have ever tried. You mentioned your skin breaks out easily. I do recommend you to try it out at the La Mer counter if possible. You can also ask the counter staff if they can offer a few samples for you to try at home, and see if the cleanser works for you.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. I hope this informatin helps.

Cheers,

BA