Valentino says goodbye: Spring 2008 ready-to-wear

( Photo source: http://www.style.com/)

(Photograph: Francois Guillot/AFP)

Valentino Garavani is one of my all-time favorite high-fashion designers. The 75-year-old Italian designer is considered as last of the great fashion designers from a great era. His works, impeccably combining refined embroidery with elegant cutting, always have the class with a feminine style. For me, Valentino has a beautiful image of scarlet gowns, white wedding dresses, flower prints and bows in my head.After 45 years in fashion, it is sad for all the Valentino lovers to learn that he is leaving the fashion industry. He will retire in January 2008 after his final haute couture collection.

"You have to stop one day. I want to enjoy myself, do other things. I've always been shut up in my fashion house, drawing hundreds and hundreds of sketches every season. I want to stop while I am at the top", said Valentino [from the Daily Telegraph]

I have been anticipating his final ready-to-wear pieces in Paris. On October 3rd, 2007 , that was the very last time we saw his name appear on the ready-to-wear runway. This farewell collection was a tribute to his love of fashion for his whole life. At the end of the show, he received a standing ovation from the crowd. He deserves the ultimate respect and applauds for his whole life dedication to fashion.


I enjoy the Valentino's spring 2008 collection very much. It has been his best collection ever. It was timeless, elegant yet young and playful. There were lots of colorful and youthful colors. His signature red evening gowns were still iconic and powerful. In addition, I was very impressed to see so many beautiful long or short frocks in soft pink or a mix of pink and purple. There were many black-and white, yellow, red and chiffon dresses with big polka dots prints. Not to mention lots of bows, ruffles and twisted pleatings were embroidered in details. Mr. Valentino Garavani, I salute you.

No comments: